An active lifestyle, harsh detergents, on-the-run nutrition – all can have an effect on the health of your nails. Gelatin is one of the raw materials for collagen, the building block for strong, healthy nails.** As a supplement, Gelatin supports the beauty of your nails.**
Gelatin is one of my daily supplements in some form or another, and I’m continually amazed at the uses I keep finding for it. As I explained in a previous post:
“According to Nourishing Traditions and much of the information I’ve read from the Weston A. Price foundation, there are various health benefits to Gelatin, including:
– Supports skin, hair and nail growth
– Good for joints and can help joint recovery
– Can help tighten loose skin (like the kind you get after having four babies in five years…)
– Can improve digestion since it naturally binds to water and helps food move more easily though the digestive track
– Rumored to help improve cellulite
– Great source of dietary collagen (side note: collagen is too large to be absorbed by the skin, so those skin creams are pretty useless… get it internally and use coconut oil for lotion!)
– Source of protein (though not a spectacular one) but its specific amino acids can help build muscle.”
Gelatin is largely composed of the amino acids glycine and proline, which many people don’t consume in adequate amounts as they are found in the bones, fibrous tissues and organs of animals and as a population, we don’t consume these parts as much anymore. These amino acids are needed not only for proper skin, hair and nail growth, but for optimal immune function and weight regulation!
Glycine, which makes up about 1/3 of the amino acids in gelatin powder is anti-inflammatory and evidence is finding that it can help speed wound healing. Glycine in gelatin can also help improve sleep ease and quality.
So Gelatin is a wonderful supplement for health, but I’ve also found a plethora of culinary and other uses lately! Here are a few of my favorites:
No Artificial Color, Flavor or Sweetener, No Preservatives, No Sugar, No Starch, No Milk, No Lactose, No Soy, No Gluten, No Wheat, No Yeast, No Fish, Sodium Free.
Serving Size 2 Capsules
Servings Per Container 50
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
1,300 mg (1.3g) **
(from capsule fill and capsule shell)
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
**Daily Value not established.
Directions: For adults, take two (2) capsules after each meal and at bedtime. Eight (8) capsules provide 80 grains of edible gelatin.
Other Ingredients: Vegetable Magnesium Stearate.
WARNING: If you are pregnant, nursing, taking any medications or have any medical condition, consult your doctor if any adverse reactions occur. Keep out of reach of children. Store at room temperature. Do not use if seal under cap is broken or missing.